Thursday, September 07, 2006

22 hours in Camden

I went on a mini adventure this week, took the train to London for a day and stayed with Johnnie (the one who's blog has a link here!). Since I havn't done a post for a while, it's about time I had something to talk about!
The train journey only took 2 1/2 hours. In no time at all Liverpool had slipped away and I was tilting my way to London eavesdropping on the conversations of the passengers around me and reading a book. I got to Euston and decided I wanted to try and find J's flat myself instead of giving up and phoning him, so without a map, I set off and actually found it! Luckily I didn't take a wrong turn and get lost on one of the most feared estates that happens to be around the corner from Euston Station!
When I got to J's he was looking out over the balcony and called out my name-saved me having to find the front door to the flats! J made me some peppermint tea (never had it before-never gone for 'weird' teas, but I actually liked it!) and then we went out for a look around Camden market. Johnnie takes his camera everywhere and takes shots of whatever interests him, he took a couple of me for my blog. I look fecking awful! But you can't blame the photographer for that! haha!



Camden market was great, there were several stalls cooking chinese food that looked and smelt delicious and some cool shops too.

We went back to the flat for a bit and J gave me a few lessons on computers and the internet-after about the 3rd thing he mentioned my brain lost the ability to take anything else in! We then had some beer and watched a film called Slackers and got chatting a few times during it so I missed the main point at the end! Then we took a couple of cans with us and set off out so J could show me a bit more of London. We walked by the canal, got lots of anecdotes from Johnnie about where he'd slept on the streets when he was homeless in the area. Camden is actually a lovely place-old cobbled streets, canal, and although it has its poor estates, just up the road are millionaire houses.
J gave me a digital camera, and I had a first go of it under a bridge at the canal, I liked the purple lights!



We got to a park and walked up this big hill (called Primrose Hill I think) at the top of the hill were a couple of benches, and when you turn round you can see like the whole of London laid out before you. It was just starting to get dark so we sat and drank beer, listening to the people around and watching the lights with J pointing out what all the buildings were to me. It was really nice. Eventually we went back to the flat, watched some podcasts-I'm told I'll never watch TV again once I get into podcasts, they will save me from the destructive effects of Daytime TV! yay!- and another film (called 'Cube'-pretty cool for a horror film!).
Next day had another cup of peppermint tea (must remember to get some in!)and then J took me to the British museum for a flying visit before I got my train home. Saw a copy of the rossetta stone-but not much else, it really was a flying visit!



I was still trying to get to grips with the complexities of digital cameras! Unfortunately the quality of the photos I took wasn't too good- too dark- but I'll master it soon!

I did enjoy my little escape,
I know I've said it before, but Johnnie IS ace! ;)

8 Comments:

Blogger Johnie1 said...

Yay me (again) LOL

Was ace to see ya, you're very intelligent company (probably the most important thing to me), had a lovely time (:

you can come down anytime

P.S. tankz for the Beer and Pizza

8:02 AM  
Blogger electrofried (mr) said...

qdear samsarajade,

thanks very much for a lovely pasting. It was great to hear the story and see the photos.

best regards

electrofried (mr)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Ace! I've just been in London for about a week myself - well, Bexleyheath - for work. Where that actually is I'm not sure - there were trains and tubes and stuff. Still not been to Camden. That's a crazy looking market, also.

11:24 AM  
Blogger jabba4 said...

I love Camden . It's where I get my tattoos done . The only place in old London town worth going to I reckon . Apart from a few of the museums and other ' old ' stuff .

Glad you had a good time . You gonna make it to the next Mojo jolly ? It'd be nice to make your acquaintence , along with all the others .

And those food stalls are amazing . Last time I went , I had lunch 3 times !! Chinese , Indian and (I think) Mexican .. Delicious ..

3:39 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Oh I love Camden Town. When I lived in London my friend and I used to go there heaps.

I wasn't that impressed by the British Museum for some reason. I preferred the Tate galleries.

6:31 PM  
Blogger samsarajade said...

I'll definitely be going back, and I reckon I should sample some of the market food next time! I'm hoping to make the next Mojo meet-up in November, and if Johnies up for it I'll drag him along too!
I'm hoping to be able to get to London and enlist J to give me a full tour of all the museums at some point. He's done a few podcasts of his wanderings around London, visit Js London Podcast!http://londonvideopodcast.blogspot.com/

6:43 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

I don't recommend the "Chinese Food, one pound!" Cheap as it is, there's probably a reason why it's so cheap!

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hung out often at the British Museum when I was a student. I adore the place.

Best wishes,

El-Branden

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home