Thursday, June 22, 2006

Opening paragraph to my latest story

It was as good a place to hide as any. If you really don’t want to be found you don’t conceal yourself in solitary confinement. It’s no use enclosing yourself in a dark corner, where any slight sound or movement can give you away and transform your place of safety into a trap. What good is that? It would be easier to track you down, following a single set of tracks, your heat source shining like a beacon, until you find that you are cornered. Alone. Trapped. What at first seems like a haven can easily become your prison. No, if you want to hide, increase your chances of escaping notice then you must hide among people. Find yourself a herd, the larger the better to hide amongst. Bury yourself deep in the throng where the lions can’t reach you. Add your body heat to a mass of body heat. Hide your identity in the crowd. So on that wet day, when I was persued by the heat of fear, it was a natural instinct to turn into the multimart. Where safer than among the throng of shoppers. A consuming crowd with their attention fixed on individual needs, wants, desires. Their eyes on price tags, adverts, packaging. Their minds on imagining where they could place that bookshelf in their room, on what they would have for dinner, on trying to recall what it was that they needed, cursing themselves for not making a list when they thought they would remember. Nobody there was going to give me a second look. And that suited me perfectly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnie1 said...

i like it

like why i moved to the big smoke (:

is ye gonna but full story on here ?

2:57 PM  
Blogger samsarajade said...

yeh, well maybe, it's the start of a story based on an idea from a newsclipping. There's loads of discrepensies that will need ironing out and I'm not entirely sure where the story will take me yet, but I'm putting up some of the first drafts as I write them to see what responses I get, it'll all get re-written several times if I stick at it! :) I wont put every draft on the net though lol!

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home