Sunday, April 02, 2006

Falling Apart

My teeth have always been pretty strong. They survived the usual months of not brushing them as a child, I've never needed a filling. I had braces fitted when I was a teenager (not pleasent, but also not permanant!), and my teeth STILL survived the neglect to go back to the dental hospital to have some wires removed for a couple of years past when they SHOULD have been taken off. My dentist usually says 'you arn't going to need any work for a long time yet'. I've had 3 pregnancies, still not lost an adult tooth, or needed any repairs. . .
I chipped my front tooth once, I was drinking beer out of a bottle, and a friend nudged me, the bottle chipped my front tooth, put me in shock! Stupid but it did! I'm very ATTACHED to my teeth!
The past year, the other front tooth got chipped, not a straight forward accident like the other one, it just crumbled. Didn't hurt, hardly noticeable, I expect only I realised, I've dreamt it many times. All my teeth crumbling away, falling out, I wake and they are all still there, but slowely, almost unperceptavely, they really ARE starting to crumble.
The roughness gives it away. The newly exposed enamal isn't as smooth as the rest of the tooth. I feel no pain, but I know something has fallen away.
Yesterday I felt an uneven part on my tooth, bottom left, inside, 5th from the back, a pointy-ish tooth. I thought maybe some plaque had managed to build up, these days I brush at least once a day, usually. . . unless I forget the time, the day - that happens more and more lately too.
I scraped the uneven surface with my nail, and something fell away. Like a chipped mug. It was definitely tooth. It still doesn't hurt.
As the days go by, the numbness is maybe the most worrying. To know what is happening, but to not FEEL it, just the roughness left where something else has fallen away.
And I'm obsessed now with running my tongue along that rough surface, until that becomes smooth, and no doubt something else will crumble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home